At Animal Dynamics we make vehicles that combine high efficiency with full autonomy and are able to do more with less impact on nature than other vehicles that perform the same tasks. Taking our inspiration from animals and the natural world, we can achieve significant improvements in the performance and efficiency of vehicles in water, air, and ground travel. What motivates us is our desire to create original and worthwhile solutions to real problems.
We are motivated to realise designs that will positively disrupt industries and technical approaches that have long been taken for granted.
Our current focus is on Stork, a family of vehicles which have been designed as highly energy and cost-efficient aerial systems for carrying loads. These vehicles are full-stack autonomous vehicles, with complex mechanical, electronic and software features.
Based in Cowley, near Oxford, we are a friendly Company and we recruit talented, committed people who want to work in a stimulating and supportive environment.
Overview of the role
We are looking for a Test & Demo UAS Remote Pilot who will operate our UAS platforms of different sizes and configurations in a range of test and demonstration activities. This will include following structured flight test programmes to ensuring product viability to meet client outcomes and conduct a wide variety of demonstration events both in the UK and overseas. Staging these events will require a lot of planning, both operational and logistical, involving collaboration across the business to ensure a successful outcome. As the principal Remote Pilot you will also be required to conduct flying currency and qualification checks and deliver activity to support to the Safety Management System (SMS) and Incident Investigation Procedure.
Responsibilities… what will you do?
You will be responsible for:
- Acting as lead remote pilot for Test & Evaluation (T&E) activity in accordance with a structured flight test programme
- Acting as lead remote pilot for demonstration activity in accordance with demonstration schedule requested by Business Development
- Conducting T&E planning and reporting to deliver flight test documentation including Test Instructions, Risk and Hazard Assessments, Safety Statements and Test Reports
- Conducting flight demonstration activity in diverse international locations
- Conducting qualification and flying currency checks on company pilots and operational staff to meet regulatory requirements
- Conducting liaison with ATC, airfield authorities, support facilities and external agencies to enable flying operations
- Providing SME advice to the design and development activity in a range of multi-disciplinary engineering teams
- Coordinating activity on the company online operations management portal for a growing number of pilots, UAS platforms and equipment
- Conducting duties required to actively support the Safety Management System (SMS)
- Assisting in engagement with various global regulatory authorities to enable flying operations/client trials in a timely and efficient manner
- Assisting in the development of Operational Safety Cases (OSC) for >25kg systems and BVLOS operations
- Conducting any other support activities for company operations that can be reasonably expected for your role and experience.
Essential skills and experience… what are we looking for?
You will have the following skills and experience:
- UK CAA UAS Remote Pilot (Fixed Wing) qualified up to 25Kg MTOM
- Significant and demonstrable flying experience in commercial UAS roles (minimum of 50 logbook hours)
- Significant knowledge of (UK CAA) Civil Aviation Publications (CAP 722 and 1861)
- Knowledge of the UAS Implementing Regulations and framework for the safe operation of UAS within the Open, Specific and Certified Category
- Experience of the planning and execution of UAS operations in austere, diverse environments in challenging conditions
- Experience of UAS design techniques and system integration
- In depth knowledge of UAS systems, including autopilot design and functionality, airframe, engineering methods, data link, propulsion systems and aerodynamics
- A methodical and analytical thought process to identify system deficiencies quickly and assist in the development of technological solutions
- Highly self-motivated, problem solver with good communication skills and a proactive approach
- IT literate, including but not limited to MS Office
- Ability to travel to test and demo locations both nationally and internationally
Desirable skills and experience: –
- UK CAA UAS Remote Pilot (Rotary Wing) qualified up to 25Kg MTOM
- Hold a UK CAA General VLOS Certificate (GVC)
- Hold a PPL/CPL/ATPL qualification
- Demonstrable experience of R/C flying (BMFA A & B)
- Demonstrable experience of paramotor operations
- Knowledge of Airworthiness techniques and procedures
- Knowledge of aviation Human Factors (HF) principles
- Knowledge of RPAS test and evaluation techniques
- Knowledge of European (EASA) and global (ICAO) regulatory developments
- In depth knowledge and understanding of Quality Management (QM) techniques (ISO9001:2015)
- In depth knowledge and understanding of Safety Management System (SMS) techniques (CAA CAP 795 & 1059) and the key principles of a ‘Just Culture’ environment
Benefits… what do you get?
- Competitive salary in the range of £32,000 – £40,000 pa dependent on experience
- EMI share options scheme
- Flexible working
- Company discount scheme
- 25 days’ annual leave, bank holidays, plus 3 days additional leave for Christmas closure
- Pension scheme
- New Career Development Framework to support your professional development
This role is advertised as full-time but we want to hire the best person and would therefore consider part-time options.
Note to all applicants
Due to the security classification on the work we do, we will undertake a routine Baseline Personnel Security Standard check on the successful applicant. This is a standard process which includes references and career history checks.
For full details of how we will use your personal data please see our Recruitment Privacy Statement available at www.animal-dynamics.com/rps