Hawaiian Airlines has just launched a promotion on gift cards, which is perhaps the best case scenario when it comes to airline promotions, since you can get a perk for spending money with the airline without committing to any specific travel.
We saw Hawaiian also offer this promotion about a year ago, though suffice to say it could be more interesting now, as people are starting to travel on a more widespread basis.
Hawaiian Airlines offering 5x miles on gift cards
Through May 31, 2021, Hawaiian Airlines is offering 5x HawaiianMiles per dollar spent on digital gift cards.
This is potentially a solid promotion:
- Hawaiian Airlines gift cards don’t expire
- Each member is limited to 20,000 bonus miles, so that translates to $4,000 worth of gift cards
- Miles will post within four to six weeks of an eligible purchase
- Gift cards are only redeemable at hawaiianairlines.com for ticket purchases, Extra Comfort and Preferred seats, mileage award redemption fees, and purchasing miles
- Gift cards can’t be redeemed for vacation packages, bag fees, ticket change fees, first class upgrade fees, merchandise, and inflight purchases
Is this promo worth it?
If you fly Hawaiian Airlines with any frequency then this could represent a good deal. Personally I don’t particularly value HawaiianMiles — I think they’re worth about a cent each, so to me that’s like a 5% return on gift card purchases.
That doesn’t account for the value you’d get from credit card spending, or the miles you’d actually earn when you fly.
I suppose this is better than nothing, though this is probably a case where I’d rather hold onto my cash. Of course Hawaiian frequent flyers may feel otherwise.
Hawaiian Airlines is offering 5x miles on the first $4,000 in gift cards that you purchase. For someone who flies Hawaiian Airlines frequently this could be a good deal.
(Tip of the hat to Frequent Flyer Bonuses)