Right now, Southwest Airlines Flight Change one of the best flight change policies I have ever seen. Between certain dates, you can change your flight for free AND not have to pay the fare difference!
Here are the details.
Complete insights into Southwest change flight rules and all the other information related to it
- Regardless of any domestic route, and fare type selected, there would be no southwest change fee in case any passenger request change to flight date, time, and destinations. Only fare difference applies.
- Southwest change flight rule would only be applicable if the passenger request modification up to 2 hours prior to the scheduled flight departure.
- As per Southwest Airlines change flight rule, in case of any schedule change passengers have the option to choose the revised flight itinerary, or choose an alternate option within 14 days of the original scheduled travel, or even cancel the trip without a penalty and receive a full refund which would be issued to the original form of payment.
- Southwest flight change policy also allows same-day flight change for free if the passenger wants to take an earlier or the later flight departing from anywhere in the airline’s network.
What happens if Southwest changed your flight?
Per Southwest’s Contract of Carriage and DOT rules, you are entitled to a full refund, since Southwest cancelled or made a significant change in the flight schedule and you chose not to accept the alternative offered.
How do I cancel a trip on Southwest?
If you are within 24 hours of your trip, call 1-800-775-7105 to cancel. Refund requests must be made in writing within 90 days of the scheduled departure date. Email your refund request to email@example.com.
What is the difference between Southwest anytime and wanna getaway?
The only drawback between the “wanna get away” fare versus the “anytime” fare is that the “anytime” fare is refundable and the “wanna get away” is not. However, even with the “wanna get away” fare, if your plans change and you need to change your ticket, you can use it as credit towards the new ticket.
How Southwest Airlines Compares to Other Airlines
|Airline||Ticket Change Fee||Same-Day Change Fee|
|Delta||$200 (up to $450 on some international fares)||$50|
|Frontier||$50 – $100||$25 – $50|
|Jet Blue||$75 – $150||$50|
|Southwest||Free||None – but fare difference may apply|
Southwest Airlines Ticket Change Fees
The majority of airlines charge a ticket change fee. These fees can range anywhere from $50 to $200. This is not the case with Southwest, which offers an unconditional, free ticket change policy as well as a free same-day ticket change policy
The following are excerpts from Southwest Airlines’ flight change and cancellation policy that are essential for travellers.
- Cancellation of flight reservation before 24 hours of its booking will not be charged a cancellation fee.
- There is no flight cancellation fee charged.
- There is no flight change fee charged.
- Passengers can change or cancel their flight quickly and easily on Southwest.com or using the Southwest mobile app
- If you cancel a flight with a non-refundable fare, you will receive Travel Funds (it is like a store credit). You can track your Travel Funds by logging into your Rapid Rewards account4 and/or search for unused Travel Funds on Southwest.com or via the Southwest app for smartphones.
Here’s how to change your Southwest Airlines flight if it goes down in price after you booked
Unlike other airlines, which can charge $100 or $200 for changing a flight, Southwest doesn’t charge a change fee; you only pay the difference, if any.
In the case of fares that decreased after you booked, you won’t get a refund – unless you bought refundable tickets. But you can get a travel credit toward a future flight. Even if you booked using Rapid Rewards, the same policy applies – you get the difference in points.
How to do it? It takes only a few steps:
- First, you can refund the full flight if you booked within 24 hours of the fare decrease. Even the legacy carriers do this (though with some caveats depending on how soon your flight is).
- Otherwise, log into your Southwest account. Under your existing reserved flight, click “change flight.”
- You’ll then see a bold header reading, “Select all flights you would like to change.” You’ll want to click on a flight – for instance, “San Francisco, CA to Burbank, CA.”
- After that, under the first header, you’ll see a second header reading, “Update the selected flight.” There, you can change your flight’s departure or arrival airport, the departure date, or the time of day. Click the yellow “Select new flights” button.
- See also Southwest Airlines to start filling middle seats
- That leads to a field where you can find your existing flight and alternate ones for that day. Next to each flight time, you’ll see how much more or less you’d have to pay in price or points. If there’s a minus sign next to the amount, you can rejoice, because that means your fare has dropped since you bought your ticket.
- When you select a flight with a lower fare, you’ll see the credit you’re due at the bottom. Click on the confirmation page, where you’ll see your updated flight info under the new fare. One last click and you’re done.
Southwest Airlines Refund Policy Overview
As with most major airlines, Southwest Airlines offers a full refund within 24 hours of purchase. After the 24-hour refund period has passed, the price of non-refundable tickets is applied to future travel within one year of the purchase date. Ticket change fees are discussed in greater detail below, but it should be mentioned here that other major airlines will generally refund the price of your non-refundable ticket minus the ticket change fee after this 24-hour grace period ends. Since Southwest offers a free ticket change policy, you are getting a full refund of the price you paid for your ticket to apply towards your next trip.
Features of Changing a Flight on Southwest Airlines
- Southwest Airlines has not made these changes in their policy due to Covid. Although Covid policies are updated but even pre-covid as well you had the option to change a flight without paying a fee. Changing a flight with no fare difference is actually a big deal where various other airlines charge double. This makes it convenient for travelers to save some serious cash or points.
- Funds from want to get away, anytime, and business select fares can be used by a customer for future travel up to one year from the date of original purchase by the ticketed passenger only. Travel booked by using these travel funds has to be completed by the expiration date. All the funds are reusable as long as these were canceled according to the new show policy.
- If a ticket is booked using rapid reward points, then it can be changed by using points only.
- You can change the departure date, flight time, or destination. It would depend upon the availability on that particular date.
- In cases of a medical emergency, due to illness or if the flight schedule is changed due to weather, there is no penalty to modify the flight. Only the fare difference would be charged.
- Name changes on the ticket can only be done if the flight is canceled within 24 hours of making the Southwest Reservations. In order to change the name, the passenger needs to cancel their ticket and book a new flight under the correct name.
- If one needs to change their flight after check-in, it has to be done at least 40 minutes before the departure flight time.
- The passenger will receive an alert if there is any schedule change in the flight. In this case, it is always suggested to call right away to explore the available flight options.
- Southwest Travel Funds from the previous canceled flight can be used to book a new flight. The only condition is that it can be used for the same passenger who was supposed to travel.
- The price listed to the right is the amount being refunded or converted to travel funds. The ticket in the screenshot below is a Companion Fare, so the only money paid was the $11.20 in taxes and fees ($5.60 each way). If you booked a flight with cash, your full ticket price will show here.
- Click the yellow Cancel Flight button at the bottom of the screen to complete the cancellation.
Southwest 24 Hours Flight Change Policy
We know we have a sudden change in the travel plans unexpectedly. With Southwest’s 24-hour change policy, you have the freedom to alter your flight itinerary’s date, time, and destination without incurring any Southwest airlines change fee. This also includes canceling your flight and requesting a full refund. Here are the Southwest change flight terms and conditions below for more details –
Southwest flight change policy within 24 hours applies to tickets booked via southwest.com
- The 24-hour time frame begins at a time when you successfully paid for your reservation and completed the booking process.
- Southwest change policy for 24 hours would not be applicable on the group travel, hence are subject to the group contract.
- Southwest ticket change for 24 hours would be applicable for tickets purchased via travel funds.
- Southwest Airlines Flight Change policy would be applicable on all fare types – Wanna Get Away fare, Anytime, and Business Select fares.
How to change or cancel a flight on Southwest Airlines
- Sign in to your Southwest Airlines account.
- Come On Option Manage your reservation.
- Select your self-service option.
- Next, click either “Change reservation” or “Cancel reservation.”
- Then click “Continue.
- Complete the change or cancelation.
Steps to rebook your Southwest flight
Whether your flight was booked on points or a revenue ticket, the process to rebook, and thus reprice, is extremely easy.
- Sign in to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account. On the “My Account” page, you’ll see all of your upcoming flights midway down the page. Click on “Change Flight.”
- Select your flight and click on “Select new flights.” If you have a round-trip flight, both the departure and return options will appear. You can select one or the other, or both at the same time. Note: Your original departure and arrival airports as well as the date(s) will auto-populate.
- You’ll see the amount the particular flight has increased or decreased in points or price. If your original flight has decreased (noted by the minus sign), select the fare, click “Continue” and your new trip price will appear.
- You will see the credit you are receiving at the bottom of the page. In this particular situation, 1,223 Southwest Rapid Rewards points will be credited back into my account. On the next page, the passenger information will already be populated and you’ll just need to confirm your changes by clicking “Change flight.”
After confirming your Southwest Flight Change, you should receive an email within a few minutes. You’ll notice that your confirmation number for your flight has stayed the same. If you used points, the difference will be credited back to your account immediately. If it was a paid reservation on a non-refundable fare, you now have Travel Funds available.
How to change your Southwest flight dates or times
- Southwest Airlines, for instance, has a long-standing policy of never charging change or cancellation fees on any booking but has in the past billed customers for the difference in price if the new flight costs more. Here’s what you need to know.
- You’ll need to navigate to the “My Trips” tab in your Southwest account and find your booking.
- At the bottom, click “change flight,” which will take you to a new page. You can change your flight date or time as long as you plan to depart and arrive at the same airport.
- You’ll then be taken to another page to make changes to your dates or times. Note that Southwest makes it clear that changes outside of those conditions (i.e., departure and arrival cities) may result in a higher fare.
How Much Does It Cost to Change Flight Date on Southwest?
Flight date change always depends on your fare type or route as per the flight availability. Sometimes Southwest doesn’t charge for a flight date change but in some manner, you have to pay Southwest airlines change date fee as per the airline’s rules and restrictions which are given below:
- Southwest airlines charge $50 to $100 for the domestic flight’s date change.
- For the international flight date change, $150 to $200 is charged that also varies as per your ticket type.
In case you have any other queries related to southwest ticket change policy or flight date change or fee, then contact the Southwest customer service team of Southwest airlines and avail the instant help on flight change and its related queries.
Easily Manage Booking of your Flight Ticket with Southwest Airlines:
For making changes to your Southwest Airlines flight tickets, you have to follow the steps given below:
- Go to the Southwest Airlines website. Then login into the account.
- Enter confirmation number, first and last name in the text field.
- Choose the “Flight” tab. Then tap on the “Manage Reservations” section.
- After then, a list of your booked reservations will show on the page.
- Here you can make any changes to your booked flight tickets, as per your travel requirements. The changes such as Cancel Flight, Date change on ticket, Edit Name, Contact Details, Add or Remove, and Add the passenger’s name
- If you want to change a flight, so then you have to tap on “Change Flight” and then tap on either the “Change reservation” or “Cancel reservation” button.
- Also, you can make other changes such as Add extra baggage allowance, Book Meals, Add Extra service, Upgrade seats to business class, or Seat change, and many more.
In this manner, with southwest airlines manage the booking section, you can effortlessly change or manage your booked flight ticket itself within a few seconds.
Southwest Last Minute Flight Change
- Booked Southwest flight but confused about the flight change or cancellation policy? Do not worry as we have all the things covered in this article for you. Before digging deep into this, we should better know about Southwest Airlines first.
- Southwest is the biggest low-cost airline in the world which operates in various destinations. It has connected various places by its air travel service and gives substantial contributions towards bringing the world closer. It is popular for the Southwest Airlines Last Minute Flight Change Policy which allows every traveler to modify its scheduled flight.
- Southwest Airlines is the only airway in the whole world that show such generosity to its customers and permit them to change the flight without paying any change fee. You can change your flight anytime from the moment you booked the ticket till departure.
- However, you can also use Southwest Airlines Last Minute Cancellation Policies for making any amendment in your reservation. You can use this policy for revoking your whole reservation and booking the Southwest Airlines flight again from scratch.
- What do the pluses and minuses mean on the Select New Flights page when I change my flight on Southwest.com®?
A flight with a “+” by the price indicates the new flight costs that amount more (e.g.,+$29) than your original itinerary and you’ll be charged an additional $29. If there’s a “-” by the price, it means your new flight costs that amount less (e.g., -$15) and you’ll be refunded $15 to the original form of payment (if applicable) or to a reusable travel fund.
- If the flight says $0, that means the new flight costs the same as the original flight you booked on Southwest.com and you can switch without paying more or receiving a refund.
Check Phone Number for Southwest Flight Change
You can find here the Southwest Airlines phone number for the customer service team as well as other contact information.
|Customer service: 800-435-9792||Before & during your trip | After your trip|
Reservations & Information: 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792)
You can dial Southwest’s customer service phone number: 1-800-435-9792 then Press 5, and 0 OR say the word “Operator” to get a human operator.
Southwest Airlines Name Change/Correction Policy for Domestic & International Tickets: All you need to know
Southwest Airlines Flight change! Name Change! Name Corrections! Policy! fee On any airline, you have twenty-four hours to correct the error charge-free, whether you need to change a single letter or the entire name. For this reason, passengers should always review their confirmations immediately after purchasing. If it’s been more than 24 hours, that’s when…
If you miss a flight that is not because of another Southwest delay you are SOL. Your problem, not theirs. You receive zero priority for later flights and subject to seat availability and fare difference just as any other passenger wishing to make a flight change. If you are A-List, there are standby options but…
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 1 Average: 5]