United Airlines Flight Ticket Cancellation Policy: Quick And Convenient Ways to Cancel Your United Airlines Flight
United Airlines Flight Cancellation: Do you want to cancel a flight with United Airlines and are wondering about your possibility? Here, the good news for you is that yes, it is possible to do so through reservation management. United follows a separate policy that explains the terms and conditions of canceling a flight with them. Also, if you would like to know how to cancel your United flight? and the following rules for canceling tickets, see the information provided below.
How to avoid Delta change and cancellation fees
While Delta has largely updated its change fee policy, fees still apply in many scenarios. As a reminder, here are some ways you can avoid Delta change and cancellation fees when booking your next flight:
- Cancel within Delta’s 24-hour risk-free cancellation period. In fact, all airlines are subject to this rule as administered by the Department of Transportation. You can cancel your ticket within 24 hours.
- Purchase a refundable fare. When searching for fares on Delta’s website, simply click “Refundable” to see a list of fares that are refundable for any reason. While these fares will cost you much more than nonrefundable tickets, they won’t incur any change or cancellation fees — which can sometimes cost more than the airfare itself.
- Hold Delta elite status. Gold Medallion members and higher enjoy waived same-day change fees. Diamond and Platinum Medallion members enjoy waived change fees for award travel, which typically cost $150.
- Watch out for schedule changes. As airline demand has changed dramatically over the past year, your flight may be rescheduled or even canceled. In the event of either happening, you may be eligible for complimentary flight change or cancellation. For tickets issued after Aug. 17, 2020, a delay of 120 minutes or more, a change in the routing of the original flight, equipment or a misconnect or an outright cancellation qualifies for waived fees. You’ll receive an email with options to change or cancel your flight.
- Contact Delta customer service for any extenuating circumstances. While any other reasons aren’t posted on Delta’s website, you should contact customer service if you need to cancel for any extenuating circumstance.
What to do when United Airlines Cancel your flight
- If your United flight is canceled without any prior notification, then you are eligible to get a full refund on your canceled flight.
- You can only make any kind of refund request if your flight is canceled without any specific reason such as airport strikes or say where the situations were under the control of the airline’s carrier.
- If the airlines canceled a flight due to uncontrollable reasons such as air traffic, bad weather, etc, then you can’t get any kind of refund on that flight.
- If you have a non-refundable flight, then you may also get a refund instead of travel credits and you can also make a request of changing or rebooking your flight to the next available flight.
You can also dial the United Airlines Reservations phone number if you have any kind of query regarding the refund rules or other things on the canceled flights. By dialing this number, you can very easily resolve all sorts of United Airlines-related queries whether it’s refund or flight cancellation.
All customers have 24 hours from the time of their original booking to cancel their flight without being charged a cancellation fee, regardless of the fare selected, as long as the ticket was purchased a week or more before departure.
|Ticket Type||Cancellation Fee|
|Basic Economy||Not permitted|
|Non-Refundable||$200 for domestic flights and up to $400 for international flights depending on fare class|
|Award Ticket||Varies (see category)|
How do you change or cancel your United flight?
United flights that were booked through the United Airlines Official Website can be canceled or changed right on the United website. To do this, head to United’s website and do the following:
- Log in to your United account.
- Click the My trips button on the homepage.
- Click the Manage trip button to the right of the trip you’d like to change or cancel.
- Click the Change flight or Cancel flight button at the top of the screen.
- Follow the on-screen prompts.
When you cancel a paid ticket, United will send you a voucher that can be used towards a future United purchase.
If you’re unable to access your reservation online — for example, if you booked with an OTA — you must call the OTA you booked with to cancel or change your ticket.
United Airlines Flight Cancellation: 24-Hour Flexible Booking Policy
United Airlines has a 24-hour flexible booking policy that allows for a full refund of the fare if a ticket is canceled or changed within 24 hours of booking. For example, if you book a ticket on United at 8 p.m., you have until 8 p.m. the next day to cancel the ticket and get a full refund. Under this policy, you can also make changes to your flights within 24 hours of booking and not pay a change fee.
United Airlines 24 Hours Cancellation Policy
Well, every airline across the globe provides a risk-free cancellation window to its passengers. Why? because uncertainties can occur at any time. There may be situations that do not allow one to travel. It can be any medical emergency, illness, Govt or court orders, and death.
So by keeping in mind, Airlines have to provide some relief in their cancellation policy. That’s what United Airlines is offering. But the United is promoting this Risk-free cancellation window as 24 hours flexible booking policy.
Now, let’s have a look at that what is there in this policy? Well, as per the 24 hours cancellation policy. A passenger can ask for a cancellation and refund. Only if the request of cancellation is been raised within the 24 hours of making United Airlines Reservations.
United Airlines Flight Cancellation: Basic Economy Ticket
United Airlines will not allow you to cancel a basic economy ticket unless it is within 24 hours from the time it was purchased and was purchased a week or more before departure.
United Airlines Flight Cancellation: Non-Refundable Ticket
When you purchase a refundable ticket on United Airlines, you can cancel your flight at any time without paying a penalty. You will get a full refund for the original ticket price. Keep in mind that refundable tickets often cost a lot more than nonrefundable tickets. What you get in return for the higher fare is the peace of mind that you will get your money back if you cancel your flight.
Be prepared to wait up to seven days for a refund. According to Frommer, the U.S. Department of Transportation has a regulation in place requiring airlines to credit you within seven days of receiving an application for a refund.
If it has been more than 24 hours since you booked your ticket, you will pay a $200 cancellation fee on domestic flights and up to $400 for international flights depending on fare class.
After you pay the cancellation fee, you can apply the unused value of your ticket toward a future trip with United as long as your new trip begins no later than 1 year from the ticket’s original issue date, and you canceled the original ticket before the departure of the first flight.
Hot Tip: Non-refundable tickets can still be refunded in the event of the death of the passenger or passenger’s traveling companion or because of military orders. Supporting documentation is required.
United Airlines Flight Cancellation: Refundable Ticket
When you cancel your flight on a nonrefundable United Airlines ticket, you will not get a refund. You can put the cost of your canceled ticket toward a new ticket, but you will be charged a change fee of between $50 and $150, at the time of publication, depending on your destination and the type of change you are making.
In the case of certain unplanned events, such as the death of a traveling companion or an immediate family member, or jury duty, United Airlines will provide a refund. According to its refund policy, an application can be made in those circumstances, and a refund will be issued, minus a processing fee of $50 at the time of publication.
If you’ve purchased a refundable ticket, cancellations can be made any time before the departure of your flight and the refund will be issued to your original credit card within 7 days (it should appear on your statement in 1-2 billing cycles).
|Cancel Fee||General Member||Premier Silver||Premier Gold||Premier Platinum||Premier 1K|
|61 or more days before departure||$75||$50||$25||$0||$0|
|60 or fewer days before departure||$125||$100||$75||$50||$0|
The fee for canceling your award ticket and having your miles redeposited can vary greatly depending on your status level with United.
If you cancel your flight 61 or more days before departure, the fee is $75 for general members, $50 for Silver members, $25 for Gold members, and $0 for Platinum and 1K members. If you cancel your flight 60 or fewer days before departure the fee is $125 for general members, $100 for silver members, $75 for gold members, $50 for Platinum members, and $0 for 1K members.
If you no-show for your flight you will need to pay $125 to have your miles redeposited, regardless of your status level.
For same-day changes on award tickets, United charges $75 for Silver and general members. Elite members at the gold level or above will have the fee waived.
Changing or canceling paid United tickets
Canceling or changing paid United tickets that aren’t covered by a travel waiver or another special circumstance is subject to certain fees imposed by the airline. However, there is one type of paid United ticket that isn’t eligible for changes or cancellations: Basic Economy fares. Unfortunately, these can only be adjusted under very specific circumstances.
If you’re not eligible for a waiver, you’ll be subject to one of the following fees if you choose to cancel or change your United flight.
|TICKET TYPE||CHANGE/CANCELLATION FEE|
|Basic Economy||N/A (not allowed)|
|Nonrefundable ticket||$200 for domestic tickets$200 — $400 for international tickets|
As you can see, international United flights can cost up to $400 to change or cancel depending on your ticket’s fare class. United doesn’t publish how much each fare class costs to change, so call United or start the cancellation process on the carrier’s website to see the fee for your flight.
Generally, United won’t issue refunds to your original form of payment for canceled tickets. Instead, you’ll be issued a travel certificate that you can use for a future flight. This certificate will be for the value of your ticket minus the cancellation fee incurred. For example, in the case of a $300 domestic ticket from Newark (EWR) to Chicago-O’Hare (ORD), you’ll receive a $100 voucher — the $300 from the original flightless the $200 cancellation fee. Note that these vouchers must be used within one year of your original ticketing date.
Changing or canceling tickets booked with credit card points
United tickets that are booked through credit card travel portals like the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal, Amex Travel, or Citi Thank You Travel Portal are subject to the same cancellation fees discussed earlier. This includes tickets covered by travel waivers as discussed earlier.
Both the Chase travel portal and Amex Travel are letting customers covered by the coronavirus travel waiver change or cancel tickets through United’s website. The same restrictions apply, so make sure to read the travel waiver on United’s website so you know what to expect if canceling during the waiver.
How To Cancel a United Flight Ticket Online?
- Click on to “Mt Trips” at the United Airlines flight search form.
- Enter your 6-digit booking number along with your last name.
- Choose the trip that you are looking to cancel.
- On the very next screen, It will display a total amount that you will be getting as a refund.
- Click “Cancel Trip” and note down the final refund amount.
- Do not forget to check the registered email id for the cancelation confirmation from United Airlines.
Now depending upon the type of ticket purchased. United will issue a future credit or will be sending you the complete amount directly to your bank account. That will be taking from 3 to 7 business days.
United Airlines Cancellation Policy Overview:
- According to the united cancellation policy, a customer can cancel his/her ticket within 24 hours from the time of booking to avoid a cancellation fee.
- Once these 24 hours are completed you will be charged a certain amount as a cancellation fee but this can be avoided if you purchase a refundable ticket.
- United Airlines reservations segregated tickets into two different classes when it comes to ticket cancelation. They are Refundable and Non-Refundable.
- As per the United cancellation policy, a Refundable ticket can be canceled at any time, and the customer can get a complete refund without any cancelation fee.
- When it comes to a non-refundable ticket a customer can only cancel within 24 hours from the point of booking. If he/she exceeds that time then they have to pay the cancelation fee of nearly 200$ depending upon their destination and the customer will not get any Refund however, he can use that amount to book a new flight.
- United Cancellation policy is only applicable for the tickets that are directly purchased from the United Airlines website, customer care centers, and ticket offices.
- If any customer happened to purchase their ticket using a United gift certificate, then the refund is given in the form of an electronic travel certificate.
- As per the United cancellation policy, a customer has to pay a cancellation fee irrespective of refundable or non-refundable, if he/she wants to cancel their fight on the day of departure.
How to Get a Refund for a United Airlines Ticket?
When asking for a refund for a United Airlines flight ticket, your best bet is to use their website. Depending on the circumstances, you will have two possible courses of action:
- Requesting a refund within 24 hours from the purchase
- Requesting a refund after 24 hours from the purchase
United Airlines Refund Request Within the 24-Hour Window
If you purchased a ticket in the last 24 hours and you need to cancel it with a refund you should:
- Open the Manage reservations page
- Select Flight, if not selected by default
- Type in your confirmation number and the last name on the reservation
- Hit Find
- Follow the rest of the instructions to cancel your ticket or change it, if applicable
Other United Airlines Refund Requests
In case you missed the 24-hour window, you still have the option to ask for a refund in the following manner:
- Go to the Refunds page
- Make sure you are in the Request a refund field
- Fill in your personal information
- Add your flight details
- Explain the reason for your refund request in 1,000 characters or less
- Attach any relevant documents
- Provide your email address for future contact
- Click Submit
United Airlines Refunds via Mail
In situations where you cannot use the Request a Refunds online form, or you need to provide certain documents in paper, you can contact the company by postal mail at United Airlines, United Refunds, P.O. Box 4607, Dept. NHCRF, Houston, TX 77253-3056. If you choose this option to file a refund request, make sure to include your:
- United ticket number
- Flight information
- Contact information
- Nature of your request
United Airlines Refunds via Phone
Even though a phone is not specified as a viable way to handle refund requests, United Airlines has a phone line dedicated to additional questions regarding refunds. It is not included as an option on the Refund Policies page, but some Reddit users managed to finalize their refund requests over the phone. They can be reached at 1-800-864-8331 or +1 (833)-584-0869. Make sure to check United’s Contact page, and our guide to contacting UA customer service, which can save you time!
My experience on getting a full refund from United Airlines.
Today exactly 72hrs or whatever before travel, I get an email that the flight Is cancelled per the airline. I hadn’t made changes or cancelled the flight yet. Though I was planning to but they had told me to wait until 72 hours before the flight to make any changes.
Dealing with Expedia:
Flight was booked through Expedia. So I contacted them first. They said “we’re gonna check out United’s policies”
Waited for like 20 min on chat for an answer….
Expedia: “As per instructions we got from United, they are not offering refund for this flight, instead they are giving credit for future travel.” Me: They canceled my flight. I didn’t. Why wouldn’t that qualify me for a refund?
Expedía: “I’m sorry about it, due to the situation going on, we must follow the airlines decision. But if you really wish to get a refund, as a friendly recommendation, you can try to submit a refund claim with the airline directly.”
I asked them if there’s anything they can since I booked through them and they said “nahh fam but good luck tho”
Dealing with United:
I call united and get a rep on the phone tell them “I’m calling because my flight has been cancelled and I would like to understand why I do not qualify for a refund”
The lady says flight was canceled but asked if my dates are flexible she could accommodate. I said no I’m not traveling, we can’t leave.
She said she’s gonna check my options. I’m assuming it’s gonna be what Expedia told me. Airline credit to use within 12 months of date or purchase. Which is BS cause I bought the ticket in December and in December I didn’t know we’d be in this pickle.
United also offered a travel certificate that I could use for two years and it doesn’t have to be the original ticketed passenger using it. (IMO loophole as their solution for the DOT being on their ass).
I told her I have no intentions of traveling in the near future and would like a full refund this is why DOT issued their guidance.
As soon as DoT was mentioned I got a complete different attitude. “okay sir please hold while we request authorization for a refund to the credit card that was used at the time or purchase”
I hold for like 15 min, authorization was granted. My refund should be reflect in 7-14 days.
United Airlines Same Day Cancellation
Below are important United Airlines same-day flight change policy guidelines.
If you are a Premier Gold, Premier Platinum, or Premier 1K member, you will not have to pay the same day flight change fee on United Airlines Premium Silver and Mileage Plus members are payable for the day flight change fee even, that’s $ 75 on United Airlines. will have to make your standby changes the same day 60 minutes before the scheduled take-off time.
Contact the United Airlines Reservation Center/customer relations for more information on United Airlines’ same-day cancellation policy and other information regarding your reservations from the travel experts.
United Airlines Flight Delay and Cancellation Compensation Policy:
Sometimes, for several reasons, United Airlines must delay scheduled flights or cancel them as a safety measure. Involuntary cancellations may occur for operational or ATC (Air Traffic Control) reasons or weather disturbances. Most of the time, the weather plays a major role in delaying or canceling a flight. You should remember that in the event of flight cancellation due to weather disturbances, United Airlines does not provide any compensation but reallocates alternative flights.
If the flight is canceled due to United’s fault, i.e. a technical problem, the airline will provide the hotel accommodation and transportation costs in addition to giving new flights within the booking. In this case, you can also request a refund which will be credited to the original payment method. You will be eligible for a refund if you are delayed for 2 hours or more and the original flight is canceled.
United Airlines Hold Policy:
United Airlines offers a unique feature to put the booking on hold for days until you make payment later and confirm your purchase. This booking option is made easier by FareLock, which limits the price of the ticket upwards and ensures that your flight is full. FareLock is available on the official United Airlines website, the United app, and with the Customer Service Center.
Under this policy, you can suspend the reservation with a choice of 3 days or 7 days until you confirm your purchase. It guarantees the fixed price of your itinerary during the hold period. To find the FareLock logo, you need to check the fare of the flight you selected, and then you can purchase it to hold your reservation for a desired length of time.
Seeking Assistance from United Airlines Customer Service!
Those passengers who cannot use the online portal shall not panic. United Airlines has a separate and dedicated branch for helping out the passengers in need. So, if any passenger wants to manage to book or wants to know about the United cancellation policy then he will always be welcomed on the customer support platform. There are three platforms to assist passengers in need by United Airlines and all provide round-the-clock assistance. So, a passenger is free to get in touch on any convenient platform to get his issue resolved.
United Airlines Reservations: +1(800)-864-8331 or +1 (833)-584-0869
United Airlines Baggage Tracking: +1(800)-335-2247
How long does it take to get my refund from United Airlines?
Under United airline’s 24-hour flexible booking policy, if your price ticket was purchased through United within the last twenty-four hours and you completed your purchase one week or a lot of before the initially scheduled departure flight, it may qualify for the waiver of modification or cancellation fees. Basic Economy tickets aren’t eligible for changes but are eligible for a full refund within twenty-four hours of booking as long as you completed your purchase one week or a lot of before the originally scheduled departure flight. If your price ticket qualifies, you’ll visit United Airlines Manage Reservations page to cancel your reservation and receive a refund.
For other purchases or for changes to tickets reserved over twenty-four hours past, and select your refund type and choose to continue to begin the refund request method.
If you booked your ticket through the travel agent then you need to contact that particular agent for cancellation.
United’s refund policy when your flight is canceled
Just over a week ago United Airlines made headlines for their new policy impacting schedule changes. In other words, in the event that United Airlines changes the schedule of your flight, what are your rights?
- The former policy was that in the event that your flight schedule was changed by at least two hours, you could get a cash refund
- Then United’s policy was that you could only get a refund if your flight schedule was changed by at least 25 hours; this even applied retroactively to previously booked tickets
- Then United updated their policy to offer refunds on a “case-by-case” basis
- Then United updated their policy so that you could get a refund if you had a schedule change of at least six hours, which was better, but still worse than competitors
It’s important to emphasize that all of these changes applied retroactively — the airline could get away with it because this technically wasn’t addressed in their contract of carriage, but they did have a consistent policy.
Click to rate this post!
[Total: Average: ]